This tour operates during the winter in Alaska, so expect cold temperatures, uneven and slippery surfaces (ice). Late night Aurora Viewing opportunities start on arrival day between 10:00pm and 3:00am. Prime viewing time is late evening through the wee hours of the morning. So plan on channeling your inner teenager and stay up way past a normal bedtime! Some days are long and active, but the choice is yours as to how much you participate in each day's events.
- Services (meet & greet)
- Transfers (airport)
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
• No children's rates provided. This tour is not recommended for children under 12 years old.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
ULTIMATE ALASKA WINTER WONDERLAND ESCORTED TOUR PACKAGE 2018 Ultimate Alaska Winter Wonderland Tour 2018 featuring Aurora Viewing, Iditarod Musher's Banquet and Alaska's World Famous Iditarod Sled Dog Race. Eleven Day, Ten Night Alaska Overnights: Fairbanks 2, Anchorage 2, Girdwood 2, Anchorage 4.
Booking Dates: 10/04/2017 - 03/05/2018 Travel Dates: 02/23/2018 - 03/05/2018
• Day 1, February 23, 2018:
• Air arrival into Alaskas interior city, Fairbanks.
• Upon arrival you will be met by a local representative and transfer to your local hotel. Please have flights arrive no later than 3:00pm. This evening at 9:00pm, board your motorcoach as you go Aurora Borealis Viewing (10:00pm-2:00am). Enjoy a warm non-alcoholic beverage this evening. Return to the hotel for your overnight in Fairbanks. Meals: No meals available on this day. Purchasing a pre-night Fairbanks is highly recommended, the first night of Aurora viewing is late night/early morning. Aurora Viewing is not guaranteed, as it is dependent on weather and solar activity.
• Day 2, February 24, 2018:
• Breakfast. Late morning, enjoy a city tour of Fairbanks including a visit to the Morris Thompson Cultural Center and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. Afternoon at leisure for mushing or a trip to the Arctic Circle (additional costs apply). Depart tonight for another chance to view the Aurora Borealis Viewing (9:00pm-11:30pm approximate times) at a different venue. Return to Fairbanks late this evening. Overnight Fairbanks. Meals: Continental Breakfast.
• Aurora Viewing is not guaranteed, as it is dependent on weather and solar activity
• Day 3, February 25, 2018:
• Breakfast. This morning, board your coach for your drive south to Healy/Denali (Just north of Denali National Park). Board the world famous Alaska Railroad, (Adventure Class) for your scenic journey south to the quaint community of Talkeetna. Time in Talkeetna to dine on own, or choose to take an exciting flightseeing tour of Denali, before touring south to Alaska's largest city, Anchorage. This full day journey will showcase the beauty of Alaska.
• A box lunch is included today. Keep an eye out for views of Denali from the north face to south face. Overnight Anchorage. Meals: Continental Breakfast, Box Lunch.
• Flightseeing is booked with a local guide and it is dependent on weather.
• Day 4, February 26, 2018:
• Breakfast. Enjoy a day at leisure to explore Alaska's largest city or to enjoy optional activities. Suggestions include flightseeing thru the Chugach Mountains and Dog Sledding, snow shoeing, enjoy local winter celebrations and much more. Guests may need to sign a waiver and be in good physical health to participate in certain optional activities. Overnight Anchorage. Meals: Breakfast.
• Day 5, February 27, 2018:
• Breakfast. Today climb aboard your motorcoach for a journey to the coastal community of Seward. Travel south along the spectacular Turnagain Arm. Visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center to see Alaskan wildlife up close. Visit the Alaska Sealife Center for an in-depth look above and below the waters. Later, travel to the resort town of Girdwood for overnight accommodations at The Hotel Alyeska. Meals: Breakfast, Box Lunch
• Day 6, February 28, 2018:
• Breakfast. Today is at your leisure at the resort. There are many optional tours to choose from or just relax and enjoy the hotel amenities ranging from relaxation in the spa facility, flightseeing, downhill skiing or snow shoeing (costs are additional). Enjoy an included tram ride offering spectacular views of the valley. Overnight at The Hotel Alyeska. Meals: Breakfast.
• Day 7, March 1, 2018:
• Breakfast. Morning departure from Alyeska north to Anchorage. Enjoy a city tour through the historic downtown district, Lake Hood/Lake Spenard and visit the Alaska Zoo for a "behind the scenes" tour. Time to explore Anchorage on own, you may want to visit the Anchorage Museum. Tonight, enjoy Iditarod festivities and dinner at the Mushers Banquet! Overnight Anchorage. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner.
• Day 8, March 2, 2018:
• Breakfast. Today travel north to meet four-time Iditarod Champion Martin Buser at his Happy Trails Kennel. Hear personal stories while viewing a glimpse of the grandeur Alaska has to offer along the Iditarod Trail. Returning to Anchorage visit the Iditarod Headquarters. Overnight Anchorage. Meals: Breakfast.
• Day 9, March 3, 2018:
• Breakfast. This morning head to 4th Avenue to get a great spot at the Official Ceremonial Start of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Spend time cheering on mushers from all over the world. Mushers will depart the starting gate every two minutes. Watch each of them depart or take off early and enjoy other Iditarod festivities in Anchorage. This afternoon, enjoy the cultural opportunities available at the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Tonight, reminisce over your Alaska winter adventure and when you plan to return for another adventure to the Great Land at a farewell dinner. Overnight Anchorage.
• Meals: Breakfast, Farewell Dinner.
• Day 10, March 4, 2018:
• Breakfast. This morning depart from your hotel for the adventure north to Willow for the restart of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race. Be sure to dress in layers to maximize staying warm as the entire day will be spent outside cheering on your favorite dog teams. En-route, stop at a local grocery store in Wasilla to pick-up on own snack and lunch items. Prepare for a bit of a walk to find the perfect spot along the fence line of the race. Mushers take off across Willow Lake on their 1,049 mile journey by dog sled to Nome. The Willow Community Center is open and offers a break from the cold with vendors selling food and drink as well as local crafts. Don't miss out on snacks throughout the day! Your Tour Director will have more information on this edible portion of the program! The departure time from Willow will depend on weather conditions and guests comfort level. It is our goal to see as many of the Mushers depart as possible while still arriving back into Anchorage by 6:00/6:30pm. Overnight Anchorage. Meals: Breakfast, Snacks
• Day 10, March 4, 2018 (continued):
• This day includes walking on snow and ice (and a few hills) to get to the official start of the Iditarod, where mushers take off from a lake. A stop will be made at a local grocery store, so guests can get snacks/lunch on own and if they wish buy a portable chair for sitting. Guests are encouraged to take their time to get to the venue, as there is not a rush.
• In the event, the Iditarod Official Start is relocated (beyond Willow, AK) due to weather and trail conditions, a full day of activities will be substituted for the guests in Anchorage. See box below for the detailed alterative Day 10 itinerary.
• Day 10, March 4, 2018 (Alternative Itinerary):
• Alternative Anchorage Day 10 Itinerary would include a visit to the Alaska Aviation Museum to learn about the huge impact bush planes and pilots have on the survival of the small villages throughout Alaska, along with meeting a Bush Pilot. Guests will dine in the atmosphere of warm Alaskan hospitality at a local restaurant for an included lunch and the day will include a stop at the Bear and Raven Theater where guests will enjoy a 30 minute interactive movie about the Iditarod Sled Dog Race. Guests who book a Monday evening flight of our Anchorage would have the option to go to Fairbanks for a day trip additional costs apply.
• Day 11, March 5, 2018:
• Breakfast. Your adventure comes to an end with a transfer to the airport. Meals: Breakfast.
Package Minimum Stay: 10 Nights
• Alaska in the winter is an amazing place to visit. Please keep in mind that winter in Alaska means snow, ice and cold temperatures. Some venues are outdoors, so uneven and icy surfaces may be underfoot. A variety of optional tours from mild to wild may be offered. The local tour director will have details on each available option.
• Guaranteed to go from the first person sold on this unique winter program!
• Hand warmers included to ensure your comfort.
• Premier Alaska Tours local escort will be with the group throughout the entire land tour.
• All transfers, luggage handling, all applicable taxes and sightseeing tours as indicated.
• Gratuities for local Tour Director and driver are included.
• All reserved bookings (with names) by 01/01/18, have guaranteed seating at the Mushers Banquet. Please call to secure bookings after this date as tickets may still be available.
• Meals are included as indicated each day.
• No alcohol is included for any meal.
• Hotels and itineraries are finalized at 30 days prior to arrival and based on the following:
• Fairbanks: Springhill Suites or similar Anchorage: Marriott; Hilton Hotel or similar Girdwood: The Hotel Alyeska or similar
• Hotels will be assigned at 30 days prior to departure.
• Child Rate: Applicable for children 11 & under.
Tour Enhancements (at an additional fee):
• Pre Night Fairbanks: includes bed tax and breakfast
• Post Night Anchorage: includes bed tax and breakfast
Package inclusions are subject to change.
• Premier Tours does not offer Seward to Anchorage transfer for guests on a Northbound cruise. Guests can either purchase the transfer directly with the cruise line, choose to purchase the cruise train transfer (if applicable and by far the best option if departing flights allow) or utilize scheduled motor coach service from The Park Connection.
• For this tour: Guests fly into Fairbanks and depart from Anchorage. Also Pre/Post Night Winter Tour Enhancements option extensions are available at an additional cost.