Heron Island is a true coral cay surrounded by white sands, crystal clear waters, acres of brilliant coral and an abundance of marine life. It is a true nature lover's paradise. The Island is a protected habitat for an array of wildlife including nesting turtles and Native Australian bird life. Renowned for its diving, it has access to more than 20 Great Barrier Reef dive sites, half of which are within 15 minutes of the resort. With eco-tourism in mind, the resort in conjunction with the neighboring Research Station offers many activities such as guided island ecology, bird life, reef walks (in low tide) and tours to watch the nesting and hatching habits of turtles (seasonal).
Location: 72 kilometres north east of Gladstone off the coast of central Queensland. Please note that Heron Island is 1 hour ahead of Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST),year round. Heron Island is situated on the southern Great Barrier Reef, on the leeward (western) side of Heron Reef.
- Accommodations (109)
- Activities Program
- Babysitting Services ($)
- Children's Club
- Children's Menu
- Currency Exchange
- Dive Center
- Fishing (deep sea)$
- Game Room
- Internet Access ($)
- Laundry Facilities (self service) ($)
- Massage Services ($)
- Meeting Facilities
- Non-Smoking (accommodations/facilities)
- Pool (swimming)
- Porter Services ($)
- Safe (reception)
- Scuba Diving ($)
- Spa (day)
- Tour Desk
- Watersports (motorized) ($)
- Watersports (non-motorized)
• Computer Terminal ($) Denotes a fee may be charged. Please note: Some hotel amenities listed above may have an additional fee associated with them.
Family Friendly, Eco-Tourism, Dive and Beach.
• Check-in-time: 2:00 pm Check-out-time: 10:00 am
Early check-in and late checkout on request, and subject to availability.
• Child age break is 12 years old.
Turtle Room - 2 adults.
• Turtle Family Room - 4 adults.
• Reef Room - 3 adults.
• Reef Family Room - 5 adults.
• Beachside Suite - 4 adults.
• Point Suite - 2 adults.
• Wistari Suite - 2 adults.
• Beach House - 4 adults.
Turtle Room, these accommodations are at ground level with 2 rooms per block and feature a deck and outdoor area. Rooms are compact with bright and fresh interiors and are located in a garden setting, a short walk away from the beach and close to the central resort facilities. Bedding: 1 queen bed.
Turtle Family Room Bedding: 1 queen bed and 1 single bed or 1 queen bed and 2 single beds.
Reef Room, the interiors are light and comfortable with a living area extending outdoors to a balcony or garden. Positioned close to the beach, they offer reef and water views through a canopy of beachside trees and shrubs. Bedding: 1 queen bed and 1 day bed.
Reef Family Room Bedding: 1 queen bed and 2 single beds.
Beachside Suite, these suites have double glass sliding doors which fill the room with natural light and connect both the bedroom and separate living area to a large outdoor balcony. These suites offer spectacular views over Heron Reef and are set in a beach side location with direct access to the beach and reef.
Bedding: 1 king and 2 day beds or 2 singles and 2 day beds.
Point Suite, these suites are roomy with uninterrupted views of the reef and ocean with a generous living area which extends to an extensive outdoor terrace with sun lounges. From here guests can walk out onto the lawn and resort gardens.
• Bedding: 1 king bed or 2 single beds.
Wistari Suite, interiors are spacious, feature a private outdoor terrace with wooden furniture and a 2 person hammock. These suites enjoy a secluded garden setting with ocean views and are a short stroll away from the central resort facilities, beach and walking tracks.
• Bedding: 1 king bed or 2 single beds.
Beach House, The Beach House is located beachside and set within a grove of trees offering filtered ocean views and a private boardwalk, providing direct access to the beach. With only 1 Beach House, it offers maximum privacy and is just a short stroll away from the central resort facilities and restaurant. Bedding: 1 king bed and 1 day bed.
• Only the Beach House, Point Suite and Wistari Suites are air-conditioned, have a telephone and mini-bar.
• All rooms feature private facilities and tea/coffee making facilities.
• No television or room service available.
• Australian bed sizes differ slightly from standard American bed sizes. For example a king single bed is slightly wider and longer than a single bed.
All accommodations include: , bathroom (private), ceiling fan, hairdryer, iron, telephone, refrigerator, rollaway bed (on request):
• ($), shower (only), tea/coffee maker and ironing board.
($) Denotes a fee may be charged.
Specific bedding and/or special requests are fulfilled based on availability and cannot always be guaranteed.
Shearwater Restaurant, Serving modern Australian cuisine. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
How to get there:
• Arrive at Heron Island by private helicopter flight (30 minutes), seaplane flight (25 minutes) or by coach and boat transfers (2.5 hours) from Gladstone Airport.
• Private helicopter transfers, from HeliReef Hanger, Gladstone to Heron Island and return depart daily during daylight hours on demand. HeliReef Hanger is located 5 minutes drive from the Gladstone Main Airport.
• Transfers at own arrangements and expense.
• Seaplane flights from Gladstone Main Airport to Heron Island and return depart daily during daylight hours on demand.
• Complimentary coach transfer departs Gladstone Airport daily at 10:15am (AEST), arriving at Gladstone Marina to connect with the 11:00am (AEST) boat transfer.
• Return boat transfer from Heron Island departs at 2:00pm (Island Time) arriving at Gladstone Marina at 3:45pm (AEST) connecting with the complimentary coach transfer to Gladstone Airport. Coach transfer will connect with all flights departing Gladstone Airport from 5:30pm (AEST) onwards.
• Boat transfer does not operate daily. Days of operation vary throughout the year.
• Luggage limit is restricted to a total of 33 pounds or 15 kilograms per person for helicopter transfers.
• Soft suitcases are preferable.
• Luggage storage facilities are available at Glastone airport free of charge prior to departure.
• Each person must provide their weight details.
• Reception Hours are 8:30am-6:00pm daily. These hours of operation are subject to change.
Exclusions (at an additional cost):
• Beach picnic hampers, diving, fishing, guided tour of the southern night sky, junior rangers program, PADI scuba courses, semi-submersible cruises, scenic helicopter flights, spa treatments, snorkeling equipment, snorkeling tours, guided stargazing tours, sunset cruises (adults only) and turtle tours (peak nesting times from December to April).
• Full breakfast daily.
• Guided bird life walks, guided island ecology walks, guided reef walks, nature slide-show presentations, marine documentary viewing, wildlife presentations, snorkeling lessons in the swimming pool and trivia nights.
• Note: Meal package (when purchased) begins with dinner on the day of arrival and concludes with lunch on the day of departure.